1. These By-laws may be cited as the Town council of Taveta (Stock Auction and Sales) by –laws 2008
2. In these By-laws, unless the context otherwise requires:-
“Council” means the Town Council of Taveta.
“Town Clerk” means the person for the time being holding the office of the clerk to town council of Taveta , his deputy and any other person authorized in writing by him for the purpose of these By-laws.
“Town” means the area of jurisdiction of the Town Council of Taveta
“Collector” means a duly authorized agent of the council for purposes of collection of its fees and charges.
“Fees or Changes” are those latest gazetted at any point of time by the council.
“Public Market” means any public market and includes a public place for stock auction sales.
“Permit” may be referred to as license, fee or charge or any council receipt.
“Stock” means any bill, cow, heifer, steer, sheep, goat or pig or any other domestic animal.
Fees and Charges
3. (i) Any person who buys any sock within the town either in a public auction or not, shall pay to the council fees specified in the council’s latest gazetted fees and charges.
(ii) Any person who slaughters stock within the town jurisdiction shall pay to the council the fees prescribed in the council’s latest gazetted fees and charges.
4. Where any stock is brought into public auction the person who brought it shall pay a landing fees specified in the councils latest gazetted fees and charges.
5. (i) Every auctioneer or buyer, as the case may be, shall within fifteen days of the date of an auction, sale submit to the council a statement showing the number of description of the stock auctioned or brought by him and specify the names of the parties to every transaction.
(ii) Every butcher shall, immediately after the end of every month, submit to the council a statement showing the number of stock purchased by him during the previous month and specify whether or not such stock was purchased at a public auction.
(iii) Any person who sells any stock, whether at a public auction or not shall pay to the council the fees specified in the council’s latest gazetted fees and charges as stock transaction registration fees.
(iv) Any person who contravenes he provisions of these By-laws shall be guilty of an offence.
6. Any person who is guilty of an offence under provisions of these By-laws shall be liable:-
(a) In the case of a first conviction for such offence, to a fine not exceeding two thousand Kenya shillings, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both such fine and imprisonment; or
(b) In the case of a second or subsequent conviction for such an offence, to a fin not exceeding three thousand Kenya shillings or imprisonment for a term not exceeding nine months, or both such fine and imprisonment.